H1N1
The headlines continue to be dominated by it. The number of victims -- those sick and those dead -- are piling up. Will it become a global epidemic? Well, likely not. However the H1N1 Virus, aka "Swine Flu" is definitely contagious. So contagious that people wear face masks in public. They wear latex gloves. They wash their hands incessantly to rid themselves of this germ warfare. They check people coming in and out of a variety of countries and distribute pamphlets, post billboards, and run television ads on how to stay well. I've been through three airport screenings, filled out health inspection paperwork, and been questioned by people in several languages on the seriousness of this outbreak. Yes, it's contagious alright.
Being contagious. Just uttering the word breeds fear and trembling. It sews worry and despair into the hearts of those who hear it. They want to avoid the potential danger. They want to rid themselves of the symptoms. They want to take precautions so they never suffer from the virus' deadly consequences. Contagious. It's a horrible word, one to be avoided at all costs.
But does it have to be?
I've been asking myself that question on a vast number of topics lately. Why does the word 'contagious' have to have a constantly negative connotation. Why does it have to drip with cynicism and fear? What if we changed its meaning, changed its inference, changed its reputation to be positive, light, and desired by all of humankind?
Personally, I think I want to be contagious. Just as Jesus affected everyone He met with his positive, loving, forgiving personality and magnificence, so I want my life to make a positive difference in those around me.
I want to have Contagious Purity. Like bleach - everything it touches becomes white and cleansed. I want to make the right choices - the hard choices; the unpopular choices -- that lead to goodness and help me to live a life that is above reproach. I want to live my life in such a way that, by example, others are pointed to Jesus and His love, His hope, His way.
I want to have Contagious Growth. Like yeast - everything it touches becomes active and is filled and grows. I want others to see God working in me and then want God to work in them also. I want to be maximized by the Lord and show others that spiritual, personal and emotional growth is indeed possible.
I want to have Contagious Optimism. Like rose colored glasses - everywhere they cast their gaze becomes eternally and unavoidably tainted with goodness and love. I want a joy-filled life that comes from passionate contentment. I want my cynicism to depart and the hole it leaves be filled with not only positivity, but true hope with God, not earthly hopefulness, as the source of all optimism.
I want to have Contagious Meaning. Like salt - everything it touches receives depth of flavor and long-lasting preservation. I want everything I do - whether high profile or seemingly insignificant to be filled with blessing and a sense of spectacular accomplishment. I want every dish that I wash and every towel that I fold to be for God's glory... even if no one ever sees. I want my significance to come from God alone, not from what others think of me. I want others to see this in me and know that God can do the same in them.
From now on, every time I see a headline on Swine Flu/H1N1, after praying for those who are suffering, I want to remember that God can change the meaning of 'contagious' from bad to good. God can make the things that people fear come alive for His glory and for our good.
I want to be contagious. I hope you 'catch it' from me.
~lk
Comments