On the Move

One of the hot topics buzzing around in my brain that I am overly enthusiastic to explore is the topic of "moving past cynicism".  As I journey forward in life, as I learn what being an adult truly entails, as I see the disappointments of reality, I, like many others, am prone to be cynical. 

I have been thinking about this topic for many months and longing to move past... to grow beyond... to regain my youthful optimism, yet with the glorious bronzing of experience, mistakes, discernment, and (dare I say it?) wisdom.

I believe we go through many phases in our lifetime journey of attitude adjustment:

1. Naive excitement
2. Overwhelmed and less excited
3. Educated excitement and hopeful
4. Disappointed and frustrated; hopes dashed
5. Educated and frustrated; yet somehow clinging to hope
6. Cynical, no hope.
7. ...uh.... what's next???

What's the next step?  I don't know.

We seem to become cynical because our carefully crafted and precisely protected life experience has differed from our expectations.  The boundaries set have yielded unexpected gaps in the fencing.  Life has been disappointing. Our own human mortality continually rears its ugly head when, despite our protests to the contrary, we continue to believe we are immortal, invincible, indestructible.  We become bound by frustration; there is no hope for positive improvement.  Reality has arrived in all its glory.  And sadly, as expected and as culture has trained us, it bites.

My optimistic, hopeful mind, however, refuses to believe that cynicism is the "end-all be-all" of life.  Adulthood cannot be primarily characterized by cynicism.  There must be more. 

Frankly, (and I absolutely include myself in the following accusations) I believe cynicism is arrogant.  It assumes the worst.  It despises the naive.  It is unmotivated, forgetting that we work for a miracle-working God.  It maintains a glass-half-empty point of view, long ago having crushed the rose-colored glasses which previously and proudly adorned our bespectacled face when we were young and naive and hopeful and ... well... insane.

Some may say, no, you're wrong.  Cynicism = Reality.  But I still beg to differ.  I still want to stand my ground.  I insist that there is more to this life.  A life that God has given us -- a loving, compassionate God who wants the best for us, a God who gave His own Son's life so He could spend eternity with us.  There is no way that this same God would allow us to exist in a state of hopelessness that drains us, that robs us of our joy, that plays havoc with our emotions and sends us into a downward spiral of doom and despair.

Cynicism takes a considerable amount of effort to shed.  Laziness will not be the cure that releases us from these chains.  Moving past cynicism requires us to remember that God is in control.  That God uses even the frustrations of life for His ends and to work in us. That God's ways are not our ways. That we must see the best in others.  Moving past cynicism requires that we intentionally search for fresh passion and renewal... not wait for it to come to us.  If we wait, it will never come.

Moving past cynicism requires a Romans 12:1-2 attitude:

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God -- this is your spiritual act of worship.  Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is -- His good, pleasing and perfect will."

Moving past cynicism requires that we make the conscious, difficult effort to renew our minds and align our thoughts with those of Christ.  And that effort then becomes a glorious act of worship that declares loudly to the whole world that God will indeed prevail.

The effort required to renew our minds, to recapture our passions, and to more closely resemble the mind of Christ is a strenuous one. This takes mental and emotional discipline (a topic of another blog in the future!) and will never be easy.  The enemy does not want us to achieve this renewal.  He wants us to wallow in our cynicism, allowing the frustrations of the day to rule in our hearts and minds.  

I would like to boldly venture the opinion that moving past cynicism to a renewed heart and mind is a command from God. Therefore, if we refuse to work toward obeying this command, is it possible, then, that cynicism is sinful, at least in attitude, and when we cling to cynicism it prevents us from drawing near to God?  Is it possible that cynicism goes hand-in-hand with a victim mentality? "I cannot move forward because nothing will ever change, nothing will ever work...It couldn't possibly be my fault..." 

This important and commanded renewal of our minds requires an intentional and practiced adjustment of our inner dialogue.

Cynicism says, "That will never work."
Renewal says, "What is in our control that we can change to make it work or try something completely different?"

Cynicism says, "We've tried that before."
Renewal says, "Have the circumstances and context changed in such a way to make the re-visiting of old ideas warranted?"

Cynicism says, "That's just the way they are."
Renewal says, "I can only control myself and I choose to move forward in a positive manner, no matter what anyone else thinks, says or does."

Cynicism says, "I know better than you."
Renewal says, "Everyone can learn something new."

Cynicism says, "It's not worth the effort."
Renewal says, "The journey might teach us something and God deserves our best even if the outcome seems in the present worthless in our understanding."

Cynicism says, "Things will never change."
Renewal says, "All things are possible with God; change begins with me."

Cynicism says, "Prove it to me first."
Renewal says, "I want to assume the best in others; I want to assume pure motives."

What is the next step once we've moved past cynicism?  I still don't really know.  Is it hope? Optimism? Reality? Balance? Healthy Perspective? Positivity? Progress-mindedness?  

Again I say it, I really don't know.

I do know, however, that to move past cynicism into a renewed mind will take effort, accountability and dependence on God.  

I know we can do it if we really want to.  Let's just give it a try and see what happens.

~lk

Comments

Kris said…
I would offer that the next step is...trust. Faith being the evidence of things not seen. God is always at work, even when circumstances make it appear there is no hope. Much of the work God has been doing in my life in the last year or two is coming to understand that circumstances, while real, are not by any means reflective of the whole truth. I am coming to understand that the renewing of my mind means learning who God is and trusting that truth not the truth of the circumstances I am in. Then, it is positioning myself to receive God's will in that circumstance and to do it, whether it is in plenty or want.

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

These are a few of my favorite things

Birthday Reflections