Some Good Stuff for You

I've been having more great times in my morning readings, made especially delightful by the fact that I've been up early every morning before the kids and have enjoyed the quiet coolness of the early hours to hear that 'still small voice' speaking ever so clearly to me.  I am so thankful.  Here are a few quotes I thought you might enjoy.

"Do ordinary things with extraordinary love." ~Mother Teresa

"[The apostle] John may learn about love, but as a young man, he is crusty and cranky. But he does have something going for him: he spends plenty of time with Jesus." ~ Scot McKnight

"... it seemed to me that God was speaking... 'You have failed because you do not really love these [people].  You feel superior to them... If you can forget you are [from the Western world] and think only how I love them, they will respond." ~ Frank Laubach

"The truth is not that God is finding a place for our gifts, but that God has created us and our gifts for a place of His choosing - and we will only be ourselves when we are finally there." ~ Os Guinness

"'Never before, I think, had I actually been glad that I was me and not somebody else.' This was not easy to achieve: to dig deep enough to discover who we are, to accept who we are, and to look into the mirror with our eyes open and be grateful for what we see." ~ Roberta Bondi and Scot McKnight

"Our reputation (what others think of us) is not as important as our identity (who we really are). Spiritual formation begins when we untangle reputation and identity, and when what God thinks of us is more important than what we think of ourselves or what others think of us." ~Scot McKnight

Heavy stuff... but great stuff.  Got me thinking... how 'bout you?

~lk

Comments

j. higgins said…
i absolutely love the quote from frank laubach. what a true statement. and what a humbling one to realize.

i am encouraged to know you as one of those--of whom there are few--who do indeed strive to view the people here in such a way. and what a liberating act it was to admit the truth--that we're not any better, and not any more or less loved or important.

thanks for starting me down that path two years ago. i hope we both can continue.

j

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

On Thanksgiving

Thoughts on Election Day