Nut
This morning's coffee was enhanced by a sprinkling of cinnamon and a dash of flaxseed powder. Flaxseed powder? In your coffee? Well, that was not exactly the intention. Yes, I do willingly and purposefully put ground flaxseed in my oatmeal, and sometimes bake it into muffins or add it to my pancake batter. However, it usually stays out of my coffee. But not today.
Both Martha Stewart and Nigella Lawson suggest having two grinders in the kitchen - one grinder for coffee beans and one grinder for spices. I believe this is an excellent suggestion. One that my 'decluttering' obsession repels, however. Why have two grinders which take up more space than necessary when I could have one grinder and just wash it.
Of course the truth is, I am too lazy to wash it all the time and so I grind something in it (like coffee) and then just skip the flaxseed until such time that I have enough mental and emotional energy to clean the grinder (not a hard job, people!) and prepare it for grinding the flaxseeds. Therefore, I go without flaxseed... or without coffee (never!) on occasion and from time to time.
Well, this morning was apparently an energetic one. I planned to have oatmeal for breakfast this morning and as a delightful add-in, I hunted out the flaxseeds from my pantry. I carefully washed the grinder, ridding it of its ground coffee remnants and poured in the smooth, small, slippery little brown flaxseeds. Placing the cover on the grinder and hitting the button, the seeds became powder in no time at all.
I opened the cover, dumped the easily dispensed product into my oatmeal bowl. However, being a seed, there are some natural oils which made a small portion of the ground flaxseed stick to the bottom of the grinder. Tapping the grinder gently on the counter top to loosen the remaining powdered goodness, I heard a horrible sound.
Whhhiiiirrrrrrrrr..... ! The grinder had apparently short circuited and without my pressing the button, the blade began its lightning fast rotation... sending ground flaxseed just about all over every inch of my kitchen.
Including into my cup of freshly poured coffee.
So, this morning? I had cinnamon *and* flaxseed powder in my coffee. Oooo what a health-nut you say!
No, not a health-nut. Just a nut.
~lk
Comments