Artistically Amazed
I love that my children are creative and have artistic ability.
You see, I have absolutely no artistic or creative ability whatsoever. I don't say this in an effort to gain sympathy or acquire accolades or encouragement. It's a simple statement of fact. I cannot draw. I cannot paint. I cannot sculpt or mold or decorate or even make pretty-looking food. That is absolutely OK. I am a firm believer in accentuating our strengths. I am a Marcus Buckingham disciple. I have a few things I am good at. A couple of strengths that are unique to me. However, among them is not one ounce of creative genius. Gee...not even an ounce of creative novice... Or creative beginner. And that is all right by me. Totally fine with it.
But! I appreciate so very much those with artistic ability. People who can create something beautiful amaze me. My dad is an artist on the piano. My lifelong pal Beth should have paintings hanging in The Louvre. My colleague John takes photos that move me with emotion. My friend Patty can make something beautiful out of anything. I think they are all fantastic and their God-given abilities amaze me.
Little did I know that my children would have a special penchant for art. They would rather sit with pen and notebook drawing than they would watch TV. They fight over who gets to use the paints. We go to the store and cannot help, but emerge with some new pen or pencil or sparkly marker or giant sketch pad. They can spend an hour just working on their creations - so intently and so silently that I wonder where in the house they've gone.... And then I find them quietly at work on some masterpiece upstairs in the office.
Time after time I find myself asking Clark with an utter sense of amazement, "Did you draw that freehand without tracing it?" Only to have him nonchalantly confirm that he did indeed prove his artistic prowess in such a manner. Last year he came home with a trophy and a certificate proudly proclaiming he had won 2nd place in a sculpting contest at a city-wide competition with schools from all over the district. We asked him three or four times to re-explain his win to us again as we just couldn't believe it.
Claire's "talent" isn't quite as precise as Clark's, but the girl sure know how to put colors together and embellish her art with sparkle and flair. The number of pictures of Claire and Mama wearing matching pink bedazzled gowns that I have in my collection is certain to rival that of Valentino or Versace. Accessorizing an outfit with the right scarf or the right hair clip is her specialty. Choosing the right purse? Equally important. All done with confidence and ease.
I so deeply appreciate art and creativity and those who can produce it. I am immensely thankful and overjoyed that my children have a strength that I know only God could have given them. Thankful and amazed.
~lk
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
You see, I have absolutely no artistic or creative ability whatsoever. I don't say this in an effort to gain sympathy or acquire accolades or encouragement. It's a simple statement of fact. I cannot draw. I cannot paint. I cannot sculpt or mold or decorate or even make pretty-looking food. That is absolutely OK. I am a firm believer in accentuating our strengths. I am a Marcus Buckingham disciple. I have a few things I am good at. A couple of strengths that are unique to me. However, among them is not one ounce of creative genius. Gee...not even an ounce of creative novice... Or creative beginner. And that is all right by me. Totally fine with it.
But! I appreciate so very much those with artistic ability. People who can create something beautiful amaze me. My dad is an artist on the piano. My lifelong pal Beth should have paintings hanging in The Louvre. My colleague John takes photos that move me with emotion. My friend Patty can make something beautiful out of anything. I think they are all fantastic and their God-given abilities amaze me.
Little did I know that my children would have a special penchant for art. They would rather sit with pen and notebook drawing than they would watch TV. They fight over who gets to use the paints. We go to the store and cannot help, but emerge with some new pen or pencil or sparkly marker or giant sketch pad. They can spend an hour just working on their creations - so intently and so silently that I wonder where in the house they've gone.... And then I find them quietly at work on some masterpiece upstairs in the office.
Time after time I find myself asking Clark with an utter sense of amazement, "Did you draw that freehand without tracing it?" Only to have him nonchalantly confirm that he did indeed prove his artistic prowess in such a manner. Last year he came home with a trophy and a certificate proudly proclaiming he had won 2nd place in a sculpting contest at a city-wide competition with schools from all over the district. We asked him three or four times to re-explain his win to us again as we just couldn't believe it.
Claire's "talent" isn't quite as precise as Clark's, but the girl sure know how to put colors together and embellish her art with sparkle and flair. The number of pictures of Claire and Mama wearing matching pink bedazzled gowns that I have in my collection is certain to rival that of Valentino or Versace. Accessorizing an outfit with the right scarf or the right hair clip is her specialty. Choosing the right purse? Equally important. All done with confidence and ease.
I so deeply appreciate art and creativity and those who can produce it. I am immensely thankful and overjoyed that my children have a strength that I know only God could have given them. Thankful and amazed.
~lk
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Comments